So happy that my bento idea worked! Aren’t these Sanrio temarizushi cute! heheheh.
I had wanted to make some kawaii character temari sushi (or temarizushi).
Temari means thread balls, and temarizushi simply means making small ball-shaped sushi. These temarizushi are usually served during happy occasions and are so perfect for parties for their small serving sizes.
As I don’t eat a lot of raw meat, I used a mix of different seafood and Japanese ingredients/toppings for my sushi.
This bento would be better for cooler weathers, since there are some raw ingredients involved. So if you plan to make temari bento, try to stay indoors or in aircon conditions to keep the sushi fresh.
This Sanrio Temari Sushi Bento was so super fun to make! I can’t wait to make more other character temarizushi!
- Kerropi temarizushi – sushi rice wrapped with Japanese cucumber. The eyes were made of chicken ham and features of seaweed and ham.
- Shredded egg sushi rice topped with pink kamaboko (Japanese fish cake) and sakura denbu (pink fish floss)
- Hello Kitty temarizushi – sushi rice topped with scallop sashimi. I added a ribbon bento picka and features of seaweed and egg sheet.
- Prawn wrapped chirashi sushi rice topped with carrot flora garnish and maple leaf nama-fu (wheat gluten slice).
- Sushi rice with mentaiko filling and topped with sweet pea, lotus root and ikura.
- My Melody temarizushi – sushi rice wrapped with salmon flakes, topped with picnic ham for the ears and features of seaweed and egg sheet.
- Edamame temari sushi rice ball
- Pom Pom Purin temarizushi – sushi rice wrapped with crabstick mayo filling and wrapped with mango. I added a small piece of mushroom for Pom Pom Purin brown beret and features were made from seaweed.
I think the transparent look of the box was perfect for this colourful temari sushi bento. It provided a bright clean base to present these Sanrio temarizushi pieces.
I guess today’s bento can be considered as both a Japanese bento and a character bento (decoben). :) I am looking forward to eating this sushi bento lunch!