I am so happy that these cute mushipan (Japanese steam cakes) idea work well~ I didn’t want to make a bento today, but wanted to make something cute and light for breakfast.
I am so glad the Little Twin Stars characters Kiki and Lala turned out looking quite cute and sweet.
The recipe follows my usual steam cake recipes, if you like to see a more detailed illustrated recipe steps, you can refer to my previous Kiiroitori Steam Cake recipe here.
Recipe for Little Twin Stars Steam Cakes
makes about 6, using 6cm diameter width cupcake holders
- Hotcake mix 150g (I used Morinaga brand hotcake mix *see pic reference below)
- Plain low fat yoghurt 100g (I used marigold plain yogurt with sugar) *If you are using plain yogurt without sugar, please add 50g of sugar instead of 20g stated below.
- sugar 20g
- baking powder 5g
- salad oil 1tbsp
- egg (small) 2
- vanilla essence 3~5 drops
(B) Ingredients for coloured dough and features
- 1.5 tsp cake flour
- pink icing colour
- 1 tsp cake flour
- blue icing colour
- 0.5 tsp black cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp cake flour
- yellow icing colour
1. Add all ingredients (A) in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
2. For PINK batter: Scoop 6 tsp of the batter mixture from step 1. Add pink icing color and add 1.5 tsp of cake flour, mix well to color it pink
3. For BLUE batter: Scoop 4 tsp of the batter mixture from step 1. Add blue icing color and add 1 tsp of cake flour, mix well to color it blue.
4. FOR BLACK/DARK BROWN batter: Scoop 2 tsp of dough mixture from step 1 and add 0.5 tsp dark cocoa powder, mix well.
5. FOR YELLOW batter: Scoop 2 tsp of dough mixture from step 1. Add yellow icing color and add 0.5 tsp of cake flour, mix well to color it yellow.
6. Transfer the coloured batter into separate small piping bags.
7. Divide the remaining batter from step 1 into your cupcake cups. It should yield you about 6 nos. Tap the bottom gently a few times to remove the trapped air bubbles.
8. Pipe in the outline, eyes and mouth onto the batter. Then add in the coloured batter – pink, blue, yellow accordingly.
9. Be creative and have fun with your creation, you can even write text etc.
10. Place the steam cakes on a steamer rack and steam at low heat for 12 mins.
It is good to place each of them in a holder/container (see pic below). This prevents the cup from expanding too much, keeping your design intact.
Please ensure that the pot is high enough as the cakes will rise when steamed.
In addition, highly recommend to cover the pot lid with a steamer cloth to prevent water from dripping onto the cakes. It will spoil the design and may cause sinking, or the cake to split apart.
Steam cakes (mushipan) are so fun to make and they make great breakfast or even little presents/sweets to give away or for parties. I also like how the cleaning up is generally quite easy.
I hope you will try this Little Twin Stars Steam Cake recipe!