Sorry that these were not very well made. I was in a huge rush when I made these steam cakes and the piping of the design went a little haywire towards the end. haha
But I figured that since I have already made them, why not share with you. So lesson learnt, dont rush through this. :P
They are however still pretty cute right?
I hope you like this recipe to make Tuxedo Sam Deco Steam Cake.
(makes 8 medium size steam cakes)
(A) Ingredients for basic batter
- Hotcake mix 300g (I used Morinaga brand hotcake mix *see pic reference below)
- Plain low fat yoghurt 200g (I used marigold plain yogurt with sugar) *If you are using plain yogurt without sugar, please add 100g of sugar instead of 40g stated below.
- sugar 40g
- baking powder 8g
- salad oil 2tbsp
- egg (small) 4
- vanilla essence 0.5 tsp
(B) Ingredients for colouring batter
- 1.5 tsp cake flour
- 0.5 tsp cake flour
- yellow icing colour
- 0.5 tsp cake flour
- pink icing colour
- 0.5 tsp black cocoa powder
- blue icing colour
1. In a large bowl, mix all the wet ingredients well. Then add in the hotcake mix and baking powder.
2. Scoop out 3 tbsp of batter in a bowl, add in 1.5tsp of cake flour. Mix well. This is the white batter for the tummy and sailor hat.
3. Scoop out 2 tsp of batter in a small bowl, add in 0.5 tsp of cake flour and some yellow icing colour. Mix well. This is the yellow batter for the beak.
4. Scoop out 2 tsp of batter in a small bowl, add in 0.5 tsp of cake flour and some pink icing colour. Mix well. This is the pink batter for the bow tie and hat.
5. Scoop out 2 tsp of batter in a small bowl, add in 0.5 tsp of black cocoa powder. Mix well. This is the black batter for the eyes.
6. Transfer each of the white and coloured batter into separate small piping bags.
7. To the remaining batter in Step 1, add in blue icing colour. Mix well. Divide the batter into 8 muffin cups. Fill the cups to about 75% full. Tap the bottom gently a few times to remove the trapped air bubbles.
- It is good to place each of them in a holder/container. This prevents the paper muffin cup from expanding too much, keeping your design intact.
- Please ensure that the pot is high enough as the cakes will rise when steamed.
- Highly recommend to cover the pot lid with a steamer cloth to prevent water from dripping onto the cakes which will spoil the design and cause sinking, or the cake to split apart.
10. On a sheet of non-stick baking paper, using the remaining batter, pipe in 8 sailor hats using the white and pink batter. Place the sheet on a small tray or plate, then on the steamer rack to steam at low heat for about 2.5mins.
11. Remove the pieces from the baking paper and assemble them on your cakes from step 9 to complete Tuxedo Sam character.
Have fun making these cute Tuxedo Sam deco steam cake.
By the way, do you know Tuxedo Sam? He is a cute penguin character from Sanrio. Also a friend of Hello Kitty, Tuxedo Sam is bear his signature look of blue and white, with his sailor hat and bow tie.